Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Google Wave, I Don't Get It

I love Google's products. But the Google Wave is driving me nuts. Google Wave is the first Google product that I neither get it nor like.

I just can't understand Google Wave. I mean, what is it really for? Upon logging into Google Wave I can see that I have, erm, a lot of entries ( sorry, I don't really know what else to call them), and all I can say is that it's a nice way to interact with a lot of people. But if I want social interaction I could have just Gchat with them, or setup a Google groups to have fun together.

I can see that Google Wave has a lot of overlaps with other Google offerings. That doesn't sound very promising, I afraid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree. I just started fooling around with Wave, and it's really pretty stupid. Sorta cool for a few seconds in a "gee-whiz" kinda way, but in the end it's one of those things I probably won't end up using. Reminds me a bit of that pocket French translator I got for Christmas a few years ago. Nice! Got the receipt, by the way? Just in case I need it...

Nigel said...

I think your problem is that you are looking at Google Wave as a means of communicating. However, Google Wave is not intended to help communication. After all, Google Wave doesn't tell you when a new message arrives (like Outlook does with that little pop-up or IM does with beeps or whatever), it doesn't allow you to join conversations unless you have been invited (like forums or list servers), you can't talk (like Skype). No, Google Wave is nothing more than another web page to go to. People want to feel they are doing something useful but don't want to have to engage their brain. So they need lots of different web sites that they have to go to to see if they have any correspondence. If it takes 30 minutes to go through all their web sites every evening then they have a good excuse for getting away from the kids and sitting in front of the computer. Also, the experience must be just a little bit slow (but not too slow), which is why Google chose to use a browser with Gears installed on top, instead of just a simple client app. Oh, and don't forget the advertisements they can sell on a web page.