Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Apache: Only one usage of each socket address is normally permitted: make_sock could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down

I got this problem with my Apache server this morning:

Only one usage of each socket address *  is normally permitted. : make_sock could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down 
Unable to open logs 
Note the errors or messages, above, and press the key to exit.

It turned out that my newly installed Skype should be responsible for this debacle.So I fixed the problem by changing the Skype configuration.

Why should Skype eavesdrop on the default 80 port and break all the other applications is a mystery to me. And although the problem is there for at least one and a half years, Skype still has no intention to fix this, even though the fix is as simple as disabling a checkbox.

4 comments:

Clint said...

Dude, you saved me hours of debugging time. I literally thought I was going crazy because I added a virtual host, rebooted my computer and then I got that error. I would have never connected that installing skype messed me up. Thanks for posting!

Andras Szepeshazi said...

Damn I'm pissed! But so glad to find this article. In my case, though, it was the port 443 that Skype was sitting on. Apache could no start and was throwing the error "could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443". Exit Skype, and voila! No more problems with Apache startup.

Thanks for sharing this piece of very useful info.

Anonymous said...

God bless you dude!!! You haved me hours hours and hours of debugging!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot man!!!!