Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cannot Login into Desktop in Windows XP

I have encountered a very weird problem in my mom's notebook. Her notebook has two account. However, when I clicked on the administrator account at the login screen, I couldn't go to the desktop as usual; instead, I was redirected to the login screen.


I believed that this is a problem of virus. A Google search revealed a lot of hints, but only one solution worked for me. Basically what happened was the registries were corrupted and you have to be able fix those registries without login into Windows XP> This was what I did to get the computer working again .


  1. Log into the Recovery Console
  2. Type the following:



    md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
    
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default
    
    copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    
  3. Restart the computer


If this doesn't solve your problem, you may want to restore the original Windows XP boot setting , or you may want to consult the Expert-Exchange for answers ( remember to scroll to the bottom to get the answers!)

1 comment:

Andres said...

This works on an 2003 Server =D
You man save my and my co-workers life xD
It was common sense xDDD